Most people don’t realise this, but bees are actually a huge threat. Even though they play a significant role in pollination, some bee species are a pest and can be quite dangerous and aggressive. Bees are responsible for more deaths and hospitalisations than snakes, spiders, and jellyfish. This is an alarming statistic. Especially because bees are quite widely distributed in Australia, and some of our species are quite aggressive. This is one of the reasons Fantastic Pest Control Australia offers professional bee removal services.
However, in this article, we’ll focus more on the negative ramifications of a bee sting and in what ways it negatively affects your health. Even if it’s not fatal, a bee sting can still be quite dangerous and can lead to severe complications. Beeware!
Note: this blog post is for informational purposes only. Fantastic Pest Control Australia is not a medical site. We bear no responsibility if you decide to use the information for diagnostic or other purposes.
Bee Sting Symptoms
Bee sting symptoms can vary from mild and annoying, to severe and life-threatening. The issue here is we underestimate them way too often. As a result, we may pay a dire price. Bee and wasp stings are among the most common reason for a bite and sting-related hospitalisations in Australia. Many people believe only allergies make them dangerous. But it’s been shown times and time again that multiple stings can harm even someone who doesn’t suffer from allergies. Different people react differently.
Most commonly, people react mildly to a bee sting. Symptoms include a sharp, burning sensation on the sting site. The area becomes red and slightly swollen, indicating the inflammatory response of the body and the immune system. It usually goes away within a few hours.
Some people don’t have it so easy, though. More serious reactions can be observed, such as extreme swelling and redness. Even getting worse over the course of the next few days. Such bee sting symptoms usually disappear within five to 10 days, but a consult with a medical specialist is advisable.
Getting stung multiple times can lead to venom accumulation enough for a severe reaction. Symptoms of such a reaction may include fever, vertigo, convulsions, dizziness, fainting, vomiting, nausea, and a killer headache. Seek medical attention if you’ve been stung multiple times.
Anaphylaxis Due to Bee Sting
Sometimes the immune system overreacts to something that should generally be considered harmless. This is what we call an allergic reaction. A severe allergic reaction is called anaphylaxis and can be potentially life-threatening. Seek immediate medical attention in case you suspect an allergic reaction or use your allergy shot if you’re already on immunotherapy. Symptoms of anaphylaxis include severe itching, pale skin, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing due to a swelling of the throat and tongue, weak pulse, dizziness, and loss of balance or consciousness.
Make an appointment with your doctor or an allergy specialist if the symptoms seem to be serious. It might be a good idea to consult with a medical specialist if the symptoms don’t disappear within a few hours. It’s best to get ahead of possible complications.